Saturday, November 5, 2016

Pie for Dinner?

VEGAN SHEPHERDS PIE


Of course you can have pie for dinner, Shepherds Pie that is!  I am in love with this easy meal, it is perfect for a chilly fall evening!  It is, without a doubt, a "sweatpants" meal, not because it is fattening but because you will more than likely have multiple servings and your tummy will need some room!  My version of Shepherds Pie is healthy, warm, comforting, savory, filling and will definitely be a repeat in my house!


Ingredients

Mashed Potatoes
3 Medium to large Potatoes (I used Russet)
Olive Oil
Unsweetened Almond Milk
Salt and Pepper

Filling
1/2 onion 
2 c (I used fresh) broccoli florets 
1 c frozen organic peas / carrots 
2 c frozen organic corn 
2 c Beyond Meat Crumbles (or cooked Lentils)
Vegan mushroom Gravy 
1 tsp dried Thyme
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder (or two cloves minced)
Salt and Pepper to taste


Since it was a weeknight and I was short on time I used a store bought vegan gravy by Pacific...it was amazing and I am planning to keep a few cartons on stock for quick / easy meals.


Instructions 

Lets start with the mashed potatoes (my favorite part)
  • Cut the potatoes into cubes and cook in a large pot with boiling, salted water. When the potatoes are cooked and tender (about 15 minutes) drain them and return them to the hot pot over low heat.  Add in a little olive oil, garlic, and unsweetened plant milk (I used almond) and MASH them like crazy.
  • Preheat oven to 400
For the filling Easy peasy! You just need one pan for this part!
  • Saute the diced onion over medium heat for a few minutes, add in broccoli, peas and carrots, corn, and Beyond Meat crumbles or cooked lentils (both are delicious in this recipe), and saute until all veggies are tender. 
  •  Pour in vegan Mushroom Gravy and stir making sure to coat all of your veggies with its yumminess!
  • Add Thyme, Garlic Powder (or fresh) and salt and pepper to taste - Add in any of your favorite herbs and seasonings
  • Once you are satisfied with the taste of your filling, pour it into your baking dish
  • Top the filling with heaping spoonfuls of mashed potatoes and smooth out the potatoes so they cover the filling entirely 
  • Bake at 400 for approximately 10-15 minutes, until the potatoes are slightly browned
  • Cool before devouring!




I hope you love this easy recipe as much as my husband and I did!  If you try it please let me know if and how you modified the recipe and how you and your family like it! 

AllthingsMelissaAnn@yahoo.com
@allthingsmelissaann





No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!