Thursday, November 17, 2016

Vegan / Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie

 




This is an incredibly easy and delicious pumpkin pie recipe to make for Thanksgiving!  I promise your omnivore friends / family will not miss the eggs or condensed milk from most traditional pumpkin pie recipes and will probably be surprised that this recipe is free of animal products.  I never loved the traditional Pumpkin Pie recipe but this recipe is so good that I could not resist licking the spoon and scooping any leftover batter from the bowl to eat! 

Note- This recipe is best if it refrigerates overnight so plan to make it the day before Thanksgiving!

Ingredients

2 15oz cans pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar 
1/4 Cup pure Maple Syrup 
1/3 Cup Almond Milk
1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
3 Tablespoons Cornstarch 
2 Teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice 
1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla 
dash of Sea Salt 


Instructions

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees 
  • Combine all ingredients: pumpkin, brown sugar, maple syrup, almond milk, coconut oil, cornstarch, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, vanilla and sea salt, in a bowl and mix well (it is really that easy!)  
  • Pour batter into a 9 inch pie crust, because I was focusing mainly on perfecting the pie filling I used store bought gluten free crusts (do not pre bake the crust), but I linked a few great pie crust recipes below.
  • Cover the edges of the crust with foil to prevent them from burning
  • Bake for approximately 60 minutes 
  • DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!! You will want to dig in immediately once your pie is cooled, I get it...it smells heavenly and looks so creamy and delicious, BUT it has to set or the consistency will be more like custard than pie.  Once it's cool refrigerate for a minimum of 5 hours or better yet overnight.




 Perfect Vegan Pie Crust


I did not use whipped cream for this recipe (nor did my taste testers miss it) but I have to admit that a little dollop of this vegan whipped cream probably would have been an AMAZING addition on top of a slice of this pie.

Dairy Free Whipped Coconut Cream- Light and fluffy vegan whipped cream. Mix. done.easy.


What dishes are you planning to make for Thanksgiving? I am making this pie and a veganized version of Green Been Casserole (will post recipe soon) Please let me know if you try out this Pumpkin Pie recipe, I always love to hear from you! AllthingsMelissaAnn@yahoo.com @allthingsmelissaann


 photo Screenshot2013-10-20at100943AM.png

2 comments:

  1. I swear I could almost smell this Nie as I read through the instructions. Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovelessinthekitchen!! Let me know if you like the recipe!

      Delete

Let me know what you think!